In the spirit of Halloween there will be many of kids out trick or treating with an array of costumes. I can remember most of my Halloweens but there is always one that sticks out or has a special meaning. The Halloween that meant the most to me, was the year I turned 8.
There was a Cinderella costume at Wal-Mart that i just had to have. For weeks i stared at that costume dreaming about what i would look like and how much candy i would get. One day while we were at Wal-Mart I decided to pick up the costume and put it in the basket. When we got to the line my mom didn't put the costume on the belt. I didn't understand what she was doing and instantly I became angry. I couldn't understand how she didn't have the money for something that I wanted.
For weeks i stayed angry until i got what I wanted. Now that I think about it, is a costume really that important? Does America glorify holidays and other events to make money and market things to children. Are the corporations making kids impatient or are the parents just not raising their kids like they need to?
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well Jimmy, I heard about this on the radio the other day one the way to school. A woman called in to say that she thought it was ridiculous that her 13 year old nephew had a laptop. As I sat there and I thought about it, I didn't really find a problem with it. Around the age of 13, many students realize that their teachers are asking that their assignments be typed and handed in. Now a days, people don't have time to run their children back and forth from the library due to work hours and even then it may be rushed.
ReplyDeleteThe woman's arguement was that kids are spoiled and get what they want, but I did not see it that way at all. But in your case, your momma did the right thing. That could have been money for food or something else that may have been needed around the house. Yes, you may have been mad with steam coming from your ears, walking around with your lip dragging the floor, huffing and puffing like you were going to blow a house down, but in the end you got over it because you knew it was something you didn't need. If you needed it, you know you momma would have got it for you. You should be ashamed of yourself for acting like that. hahaha.
I think corporation emphasize holidays to bank in on the whines of young children. Stores need to hire extra help just to control the holiday crowds. Last winter, people were dying trying to get into Walmart and Best Buy. I also feel like adults want to be considered as nice parents so they take their childrens' friends out or buy their children the biggest and best toys.
ReplyDelete