As I was searching through my food this morning something in particular just stood out to me. As I surveyed everything out one food particular stood out. I had 5 boxes of Cinnamon Toast Crunch staring me in my face. Its been my favorite cereal since I was little and I feel as though I’m growing apart from it. I think me growing apart from my favorite cereal is a metaphor for pulling away from the things in my child hood: riding bikes, throwing rocks in the lake, or just playing outside for hours.
When you grow up there is always things you leave behind and I feel that since coming to college I have left a lot of things behind and my growth has been steady. Does college make you grow up? Does the influence of a range of ages in the same place that you are influence you to become more mature? I believe that college has its way of making you into a more mature person without your noticing it.
Friday, October 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I do not think that being a college resident makes you mature quickly. I think your college experience can be made into what you want it to look like. You can complain to your parents about all the differences between the school and home, make friends that share your interests, or look to befriend older students. I know that in college, many people avoid leaving their precious games at home by bringing T.V.s and gaming stations with them to school. They make friends with other people as they bond over games. Are these people becomeing more juvenile, more mature, or staying themselves? I think that your level of maturity can change when you decide it is time for it to change. That may be when you ask your mother to stop visitng so often, or when you do not do well on an assignemnt (time to let the games collect a little dust. The appropriate time for everyone to make this decisaion is differnt for everyone.
ReplyDeleteThe transition from child to adult, I suppose, is different for everyone. Similar to Janelle's comments, I agree that people mature depending on their need and desire to mature.
ReplyDelete