Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I used to think that once I turned 18 things would be different. I used to think that I would be an adult and I wouldn’t have to depend on my parents. As I sat back and defined the word adult I began to see that the title was more than I could handle at 18. Being an adult entitles much more than being called “legal” by the government. An adult is one who takes on responsibilities and is able to take care of themselves without assistance.
The day I turned 18 and the title adult was given to me I was elated. I could go in the store buy tobacco products, lottery tickets, and sign for my own tattoos. I was truly an adult is what I thought. One never bodices what it takes to be an adult until things start to change.
For the first time ever I had bills coming in my name, credit card lenders trying to get a hold of me, and now I was responsible for myself. It made me wonder are you really an adult at 18? I wasn’t able to take care of myself on my own but by the governments standards I was an adult. So should the definition of an adult be redefined or should the age when you are legally an adult be moved?

1 comment:

  1. What does it mean to be an adult? Is it different in America than in other countries? Does it depend on your culture?

    ReplyDelete